Legends Tour

The greatest 36 holes of links golf in the world’: Trump International lands Colin Montgomerie’s seal of approval

Image

By Paul Third - The Press & Journal

Scottish golfing great believes new course, which will host the Staysure

PGA Seniors Championship in August, has put the Aberdeenshire venue in a

class of its own.  

Colin Montgomerie believes Trump International Golf Links in

Aberdeenshire has become the greatest 36 holes of links golf in the

world.

A new challenge awaits the field of this year’s Staysure PGA Seniors

Championship, which was won by Bo Van Pelt last year, when it returns to

the north-east in August.

Montgomerie will once again serve as tournament host for the event,

which will move from the old course to the new course at the

Aberdeenshire venue for the first time from August 6-9, and he believes

the test which lies ahead is unlike anything else in the world.

He said: “It’s called the greatest 36, and it probably is the greatest 36 holes of links golf in the world.

“Sunningdale has an old and new course but that’s not links

courses. We’re talking links courses here. There isn’t anything else

like this.


David Adams, managing director of Staysure Legends Tour, Sarah Malone,

executive vice president, Trump International Scotland, and Colin

Montgomerie at the new course on Thursday. Image: Kami Thomson/DC

Thomson

“There are great links style courses such as Cypress Point and Pebble Beach but they are not 36 holes.

“There’s not 36 holes of this quality anywhere and I’m not saying

that because we’re sitting here, I’m saying that because it’s true.

“It really is incredible and I’m very humbled to be asked to be tournament host again.

“To have your name attached to something of this quality is unique and I’m very privileged to be hosting again.”

Homework will be key for the players

Montgomerie insists the buzz of facing a new challenge on the new

course is already building ahead of the event and having viewed the

course for the first time on Thursday the Scot believes homework is

going to prove crucial in the tournament.

He said: “It’s going to be a huge challenge for us at the Legends Tour to come here.

“It will be good to put the new course on the map and to have this for us, I think, is superb.

“The lads are going to be thrilled to have a new challenge after three years on the old course.

Colin Montgomerie visited the new course at Trump International for the first time on Thursday. Image: Kami Thomson/DC Thomson

“Homework is going to be so important. On these greens, there’s a lot

of movement but even with the shorter shots there is going to be a lot

of strategy involved.

“That means there’s going to be lot we’ll have to work out.

“There’ll be a lot of people coming here earlier than normal for

practice rounds and to figure out where not to go more than where to go

and for me that is going to make this year’s event very interesting.”

Legends Tour is growing stronger every year

Montgomerie anticipates a stellar field pitching up at the course

near Balmedie for the event and with more players becoming eligible to

join the Legends Tour in the near future he believes the tour as a whole

is only going to grow stronger.

He said: “We’ve got (the Senior Open at) Gleneagles then we’ve got

(the) Portugal Invitational before this event and I’m hoping a few of

the guys that are playing in both of them stay on for the extra one here

as well.

“The field gets stronger and stronger every year. There are more

Ryder Cup players, ex-Ryder Cup players like Jamie Donaldson and Stephen

Gallacher.

“Potentially we’ve got Henrik Stenson too and with the likes of Ian

Poulter, Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell and Luke Donald all coming

through it’s only going to get stronger.

“I think it’s fabulous; the more the merrier.”

Montgomerie urges MacIntyre to be patient

Montgomerie was at Trump International on Thursday, the same day the

second major of the year, the US PGA Championship, got under way.

Oban’s Robert MacIntyre is flying the flag for Scotland at Aronimink in Pennsylvania as he chases his first major victory.

The Scot tied for second in the US Open last year but cut a

frustrated figure at the Masters last month where he was reprimanded

following on-course outbursts during his first round.

Montgomerie, regarded as one of the best players to never win a

major, understands the frustration but has urged his countryman to be

patient and enjoy the chase.

Monty, who has won three senior majors, said: “If I was to give him any advice it’s not to try too hard.

“I think after the success of the US Open, which was a real success

to finish runner-up and one putt from going into a play-off, he’s

putting pressure on himself.

“If he just relaxes and tries to be more patient and let his talent

shine through, there will be more opportunities to win these major

events.

“It’s not easy. In my prime I suppose there were 15 guys who could

win a major before Tiger Woods came along. Then there were one or two

and he was normally both them.

“Now you’ve got maybe 30 who can win it and Bob is one of them which is great, but he’s got another 29 guys to beat.

“It’s not easy. You’ve got Scottie Scheffler and Rory McIlroy who are

so good and then you’ve got these young guys coming through as well.

“It’s not a given that he’s going to win a major. I’d love him to,

obviously. But I think if he’s more patient and lets it happen, and lets

the talent shine through, and not force it, I think he’s got more

opportunity.”

Tickets for the Staysure PGA Seniors Championship at Trump International

Golf Links are on sale now. Opportunities to play alongside the legends

at the event are also availabe at: https://tickets.legendstour.com